TORCH Global South Visiting Professorship 2020/2021 at University of Oxford, UK Application is Opened; The TORCH ‘Global South’ Visiting Professorships is a flagship scheme to support Visiting Professors from the Global South for a minimum of one term in the academic year in Oxford. All Souls College will host the visiting academic, and TORCH would provide the Faculty and additional logistical support.
About TORCH Global South Visiting Professorship
TORCH created the ‘Global South Visiting Professorship’ scheme in 2015, with the aim to support Visiting Professorships and Fellowships for academics from countries in the Global South (including, but not limited to, India, Pakistan, Brazil, Malaysia, Philippines, Mauritius, Nigeria, Ghana, Kenya, Tanzania, and across Southern Africa and the Caribbean).
The TORCH Global South Visiting Fellowships are crucial in the work of providing role models and embedding expectations on diversity and inclusivity in the wider University. The scheme builds on and reinforces existing links between Oxford (including TORCH), Mellon, and Universities in the countries named above.
The scholars from the Global South are hosted in Oxford for a minimum of a term to conduct their research, as well as contribute, where possible, to the teaching environment through open and public events, and participate in the academic life of the College and wider University. Oxford researchers and students are then able to learn from them and build connections with the visiting Professors and their research areas.
- Proposed TORCH ‘Global South’ Visiting Professors should be holders of university or related posts in their Country, and active in Humanities research areas.
- Visiting Professorships are not normally offered to candidates with doctorates awarded in the last seven years. This opportunity is not available to individuals holding posts in Oxford or who are already resident in or near Oxford.
How To Apply For TORCH Global South Visiting Professorship 2020
- Applications are via the IRAMS system and the ‘Case for Support’ form.
- TORCH Global South Visiting Professors are put forward by an Oxford humanities academic, and are selected from the gathered field by the TORCH Management Committee.
- In the application, the Oxford Humanities academic should outline why they have selected the researcher and how their research and practice would contribute to the students and researchers in Oxford, as well as how the research and student community can learn from the Global South Professor, and develop longer term partnerships.
- The application should include the proposed Global South Professor’s CV, and research statement (‘Case for Support’ form – no more than 1000 words) on what they plan to do during their Visiting Professorship.
Deadline: 12 noon on Monday, 14 October 2019.