Templates by BIGtheme NET
Home / Politics / EFCC Re-arraigns Ahmadu Ali’s Son, Others For N4.5b Subsidy fraud

EFCC Re-arraigns Ahmadu Ali’s Son, Others For N4.5b Subsidy fraud

Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has re-arraigned Mamman, son of Peoples Democratic Party’s (PDP) former Chairman, Ahmadu Ali, and two others for alleged involvement in N4.5 billion fuel subsidy fraud.
Mamman Ali was re-arraigned alongside another oil marketer, Christian Taylor, and his company, Nasaman Oil Services Limited, before Justice Adeniyi Onigbanjo of a Lagos State High Court, Ikeja.

They were initially prosecuted before same judge on July 26, 2012.

A co-defendant then, Oluwaseun Ogunnbambo, jumped bail, a situation that made the commission to amend charges and re-arraign the defendants.

In the amended charge, the defendants are now facing  a 49-count charge as against the former nine-count charge.

The 49-count charge include conspiracy, obtaining money by false pretences, forgery and use of false documents to obtain money from the Federal Government from the Petroleum Support Fund (PSF).

At the beginning of proceedings against the defendants, counsel to the EFCC,  Mr. Seidu Atteh, said the defendants had fraudulently obtained N4.5 billion from the Federal Government between January 2011 and April 2012.

Atteh said the money was for subsidy payments from the PSF for the purported importation of 30.5 million litres of Premium Motor Spirit.

The defendants were alleged to have forged a bill of lading and other documents, which they used in facilitating the fraud.

He said the offences contravened Sections 1(3) of the Advance Fee Fraud and Other Fraud Related Offences Act of 2006.

He added that the offences also violated Sections 363(a) and 364 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State 2011.

The defendants again pleaded not guilty to the charges preferred against them.

But the judge  allowed Ali and Taylor to continue to enjoy the N20 million bail, which he had earlier granted them after their initial arraignment on July 26.

Atteh told the court that the prosecution was ready to go into trial following its inability to apprehend Ogunbambo.

Justice Onigbanjo adjourned the matter till June 30, for trial…

About talkgeria

No comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *